Ka Lei Hali'a O Ka Lokelani - Perpetuating the Hawaiian culture thru song, dance, and language
RSS

Recent Posts

4th Annual E Ala E Hula Exhibiion 'Ka Hali'a'
Hula; a way of life.
First Performance of 2011
Pa'u Hula Blessing
Oregonian - 'O.H.A.N.A. Foundation to Offer Four Educational Scholarships

Categories

Halau
powered by

My Blog

First Performance of 2011

Performance at Beaverton High School Marching Band's
1st Annual Benefit Lu'au

Saturday, January 22nd, 2011 Ka Lei Hali'a O Ka Lokelani gathered in the commons area of Beaverton High School to pule (pray) in preparation for this year.  As we stood  joining hands, I took the time to look at my 'olapa (hula dancer) and for those few moments my heart was content.  We were exactly where we needed to be, together.

When we came up from our pule my eyes teared up and for my girls, they are never surprised.  I looked at the 'olapa they have become and I told myself that night, "Wow, Lei, you are, we are, so truly blessed."  To be able to share Hawai'i's culture, here in the greater Northwest, is an unbelievable gift and as we all stood there, taking our last glance at each other, I saw these beautiful 'olapa admiring each other with great ha'aha'a (humility).  There faces said it all, this is the year, the year we continue to make a difference.

As we all walked down the stairs I turned and said, "Be here girls,be here!"  And you saw the trickle of nods flow up the stair way.  The stage was set and the audience was silenced.  I open the stage with Pa Ka Makani, the blessing of a new day, a welcoming chant to all those in attendance.  Then, Oli Komo, an entrance chant performed by the 'olapa of Ka Lei Hali'a O Ka Lokelani, the strength in their voices poured with pride.  The audience remained in "aww" as they were taken to the islands of Hawai'i with the beautiful sound of the 'ipu (drum/gourd) and the dancing began.

As we neared the end of our Kahiko (traditional) section, I was taken back to September 18th, 2010; our 1st annual hula exhibition, and was reminded of all the sweat and tears that went into the success of our show, but it was the audience that made this show what it will be and tonight we accomplished our goal.  We created a moment.  "You made me want to dance, you made me want to speak the language, you made me fall in love with Hawai'i and I've never been there", said a member in the audience. Filled with pride I, of course, teared up and said, "Mahalo, thank you, these girls work hard and we are the fortunate ones who are able to continue the Hawaiian culture".

Saturday's performance solidified the reason Ka Lei Hali'a O Ka Lokelani was born; to create a moment, to educate and share.  Mahalo, again, to Beaverton High School Marching Band for inviting us to take part in their 1st annual benefit lu'au!  Good luck in Hawai'i!

10 years from now a new generation will take the stage and create their moment, but till then, our 'olapa pave the way and will continue to build a stage in hopes that every time we grace it we touch the audience and help them fall in love with a culture that is so beautiful, Hawai'i.

12 Comments to First Performance of 2011:

Comments RSS
Straightening Machine on Tuesday, September 24, 2013 12:23 AM
Hula in its most simple way can take us to a waterfall that in that moment is just a waterfall, but the koana of that mele could mean love, understanding, power, strength or the love that is shared between a parent and a child
Reply to comment

sdasd on Wednesday, August 03, 2016 8:01 PM
windows 81 professional sale , window 81 home basic , buy windows 81 key , windows 81 professional 32-bit key , windows 81 home premuim product keys , mrid

hublot watches online outlet on Monday, November 18, 2013 11:08 PM
Power by just a Japan automatic motion that continue to keeping great time along with runs smooth. See-through again case is usually a large number of enjoyment along with I must own up that will it’s really crazy to adopt that over wrist once in a while along with tell persons: “here, it’s the duplicate, it’s not really a genuine Bvlgari watch”.
Reply to comment

www.odbierzbonus.com on Sunday, March 09, 2014 3:48 AM
Nice layout!
Reply to comment

sacoche on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 2:39 AM
sacoche louis vuitton.sac louis vuitton.louis vuitton pas cher.sac burberry.
Reply to comment

Investigate This Site on Wednesday, August 13, 2014 9:37 AM
Sie bieten eine fantastische Auswahl Optionen mit schnell schnelle Auszahlungen und ueberschlaege zur Verfuegung zu stellen viel mehr Preis auf auf Ihre Wetten. Moderne Tag ueblich jederzeit auf die Web und gibt es verschiedene verschiedenen Websites element Aspekt eine grosse Auswahl Sie zu bekommen a Menge verschiedenen Situationen.
Reply to comment

title loans norman ok on Sunday, September 21, 2014 1:28 AM
Right when there isn't sufficient money to raise usually busy portions damnation is maturing in the budgetary sponsorship. Has there been a moderate money spill towards non-arranged expenses or have there been different emergencies which discharged the record? It is imperative to find where your money goes consistently, think or not.
Reply to comment

swiss railroad watch on Thursday, January 01, 2015 1:35 PM
Thanks for some other magnificent post. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such a perfect way of writing? I have a presentation subsequent week, and I'm on the search for such information.
Reply to comment

view private instagram profiles on Sunday, July 17, 2016 5:26 AM
Instagram private profile is the things that must provide the free access of online photo to instagram private profiles.
Reply to comment

http://www.engineeringbookmonster.com/ on Saturday, March 11, 2017 1:07 PM
Leialoha, this is really an amazing post wit lots of information. Really performance at Beaverton High School Marching Band's 1st Annual Benefit Lu'au is just awesome to see in the photo. Thanks, and can I share this picture on my Twitter?
Reply to comment

johanseena on Thursday, November 02, 2017 4:26 AM
It is nice post . but I this section you will learn about stagecraft: how to sing with a band, how to memorise lyrics, how to combat stagefright. The key throughout is to remember why you started in the first place: because you love singing. While there are many different tricks and techniques, there are few hard-and-fast rules. So once you have an understanding of the technical side of performing, it's imperative you watch others perform, noting which elements you like and which you dislike. You can then try some of those things out in the company of friends and family.
Reply to comment

Academic Writing Help on Friday, November 03, 2017 4:39 AM
I think this kind of performance and rehearsal in college and universities because students are our future and they know really well about all things as well.
Reply to comment